Thursday, January 31, 2008

Wild Boar Scare



I had a wild boar scare today! I heard glass and cans rattling and clinking outside my kitchen window around lunch time. At first I thought it was a workman next door, but it seemed so close! I decided it might be one of the gigantic black birds( similar to a crow, only enormous) pecking at my recycling bag. I went out the door and around the corner but saw the hind quarters of a mammal coming out of the bag instead of a bird body! I quickly turned around and scooted Gil into the house and closed the door. I grabbed my camera which was in my back pocket and snapped a couple photos of the creature as it tried to extricate itself from my recycling bag. It was clearly NOT a wild boar. But what was it? It did not appear to be aggressive as I shooed it out of my garden. It climbed through the fence and ambled across the street to the neighbor's and I lost sight of it. Later, some people brought my new car over and explained it all to me through a translator, after which, I showed them the photos and asked if they knew what it was. They said a 'racoon dog', but noone could explain why it was hairy in back and seemed bald in front. They thought perhaps it was ill. I will keep an out for such creatures in the future and thank my lucky stars it wasn't a wild boar!

No comments:

Blog Archive